Wednesday, September 23, 2009

the world in a mile.

driving down an old dirt road
you just might come to find
my little town called Macon
i seem to be left behind
but that's not it, not in the least
for flags still fly and freedom's free
and in my old run down town
there's pick up trucks and huntin' hounds
there's talk of whose buck was biggest
whose fish weighed more
who's here now, and who's gone before
not much changes in my small town.
one could tell if he were passing by
that the boys live for the Friday night lights
the girls work hard to keep their fame
to them it's more than just a game.
the tradition they have come to know
spreads through my town; the talk, the show.
back to my city, so sacred, so small
it's cradled by crops, tractors and stalls.
a farmer works hard from daylight 'til dusk
not by choice, but because it's a must.
i am not fragile, although i am old
my oaks stand high, and i can bare the cold.
i may be small, but i have a big heart
my hospitality shines like stars in the dark.
i am Macon, a very small town
i am lifted spirits when someone is down
i am the neighor that you give a smile.
i am laughter, key to making life worth while.
i am a town with prosper and pain
a town that believes in "nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

- Julianna Persons, 2009

2 comments:

The Lindley Family said...

Beautiful poem and so true! You are so talented and I love to read your blog. I have lots of great memories of my days as a Viking and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. Treasure every moment of this last year and make lots of memories - these are some of the best days of your life!

The Petersons said...

I couldn't have said it any better than Stacey. Great poem and yes, enjoy every minute of this year!