Monday, February 2, 2009

you should be able to express yourself, page after page.

What do you miss the most about your childhood?
-it's the cool breeze outside, the leaves falling. It's the dogs barking for me to come play with them. It's the trees I used to climb & the scratched up knees. It's the colors on the blacktop, resulting from the chalk I'd scribbled on it. It's the bb's rattling in my gun as I walked around trying to find a bird to shoot. It's the afternoons at my mimi's in her backyard as I let my imagination soar. It's the fishing trips with my paw paw & the blue jean shorts. It's the lemonade stands I'd set up in my front yard, just to make 50 cents. It's skating in the parking lot & imaginary friends. It's pickin my mamma flowers & sitting in daddy's lap. It's fishing all day and fish fries at night. It's jumping on the trampoline, and handball with Matt. It's swimming until my fingers & toes were wrinkled. It's sunburn from the beach. It's Candyland & Uno. It's afternoons at Me-maw's house, and taking drives with daddy in the country. It's B&O with mamma,hello kitty, and the post office on Saturday mornings. It's dressing up for halloween, and believing in the easter bunny. It's askin mamma for sour gummy worms at the grocery store. It's lambchop (my faithful "security blanket" for roughly 8 years). It's filling up a purse with things I don't need. It's Bible School & the Donut Man. It's AWANA, and hating dresses on Sunday mornings. It's ridin the 4-wheeler with paw-paw down Penn Station Road, so fast that it felt like flying. It's tea-partys with raggidy anne & andy. It's the 15 stuffed animals that I insisted on sleeping with me every night. It's my night light. It's thinking I'll never grow up. It's not havin to worry about anything at all, it's being little. It's all of it. It's when my biggest problem was was figuring out what color ponytail holder to wear.

I don't think people realize the effect they have on people, the things they remember, the things they say.. Consider that, because people (especially kids) watch & listen to you more than you think --so say something useful.

1 comment:

The Banks Family said...

HONEY YOU SAID IT ALL.... There are kids looking up at you at all times. I just wish everyone over there at CA would realize how much those elementary children look up to ya'll. WELL SAID