Monday, May 31, 2010

"& i won't forget the men who died and gave that right to me.."



I'm just going to be really honest for the next few minutes! 

 All over this country there are men and women who make up the branches of our military. Today, we honor those men and women who have fallen for our country, and those who still serve today. I never really took a whole lot of time to think about our military before September 16, 2008. I knew I was proud to be an American. I was happy to be free. I loved the fireworks, grilling, and sunburns of the Fourth of July, and of course the red, white, and blue was all right with me too. It all seemed so "go-through-the-motions" to me, until then. And now, I am ashamed to say that.
 On that date, my best friend, changed "life as i knew it" as far as how i viewed the military.

"July 19, 2009
 I want to tell you about a boy man. You probably wouldn't believe me, but he is a GREAT man. He's been my friend for many years, and he's given me so many reasons to believe in someone, to trust someone. This man has caused me to be the girl in a store eyeing the "Support our Troops" magnets while flipping through a magazine. He has allowed me to become the girl that sees (and can spot from FOREVER away) USMC stickers, flags, and license plates which also causes me to instantly feel connected to the owner. This man is my very best friend, and he has made me sooo proud. He has listened to me when no one else would here, and he's been my crying shoulder on countless occasions. He has made a bigger impact on my life than I believe he realizes. This man is so selfless, courageous, smart, willing, brave, generous, and I am proud to call him my best friend. 
 Most of all, this man is a United States Marine, and he is loved unconditionally by me."

So, as you can tell, (and if you follow my tweets, or are friends with me through facebook, or maybe even if you've read my blog for awhile) you'd know just how much I miss Clint, but I also know that there's a definite reason why he's so far away. I couldn't be more proud of him for stepping up to the call of bravery.  I stand behind him 100%, and I always will.
 Even if your best friend, father, mother, sister, or brother isn't in the military, I'm sure you know someone who is or was. Today is a day to honor those people and thank them for their faithfulness in serving this country. No other country enjoys the freedoms and privileges that we do. No other country can freely worship God or speak freely. There are so many things that we take for granted. The things that we do with our families is also often taken for granted. What about the families with soldiers overseas? They don't get to celebrate these holidays with their sons, daughters, mothers & fathers. So, while you're remembering the military, be thankful for your time spent around the table or on the couch with your family. It is a moment that you won't have back!
 Today, and every other day for that matter, I am thankful for these men and women because we wouldn't fully know what the freedom that we so freely take for granted is like without them.

 Happy Memorial Day! 
Clint Brown of the US Marine Corps

Cody Boykin of the Army National Guard


Hunter Brown of the Army National Guard

THANK YOU!!!




No comments: