Monday, July 18, 2011

DIY!


Clearly I have had too much time on my hands since we got home, but I don't have to go back to work until Wednesday, so I've been staying up later than usual.  Maybe I could just settle with "being crafty"? Yes, I think I will say that instead.

I made a "lip scrub" (how cool of me) because my lips stay SO chapped which is hard to believe because I am OBSESSED with any shape, form, or fashion of chap stick. I've started wearing more lipstick lately, and I don't guess I've gotten my hands on a good one because they all seem to dry out my lips, and I HATE that.

Anyway! I thought I'd share the recipe with ya'll since a few people asked. It's SO simple, and more than likely you won't have to go out & buy any of the ingredients.

Excuse the photo quality, my camera was upstairs, so I used my phone!

You will need:
chap-stick (I used a Lip Smackers one, but any flavored/colored one is fine)
honey
sugar
olive oil (preferably extra virgin, but I didn't have any, so I used plain olive oil)
aloe vera
travel container (Walmart travel section $.99 - or an old candle jar would work!)
plastic spoon
knife

cut an inch off of the chap-stick and place it in the jar (or a bowl, that's how I mixed mine)
flatten it out, and eyeball an amount of honey and olive oil (I judged it on the amount of chap-stick that was mashed up, and I did around half of that). Add (roughly) a tablespoon of aloe vera, and start mixing in the sugar. Start with a little bit, and work your way into the rest (sort of like how you would add flour to a mixer - for all you bakers out there!) 

You want the consistency to be like a facial/body exfoliator, except this scrub will be a little more harsh or abrassive, so don't be scared of adding "too much" sugar. If your mix gets too dry from the sugar, add a little more oil. Be careful not to get it too oily, though. You'll end up using more of the mix when applying it if you don't have an excess amount of sugar. 
As long as you slowly add in your sugar (a tablespoon or so at a time), you shouldn't have any problem!


The finished product! 

It smells AMAZING, and it works wonderfully as well. 

Just scrub it onto your lips for a couple of minutes, and rinse off with warm water.
Be sure to apply some lip balm (moisturizing, if you have any) to lock in the moisture. 
I'd suggest doing this once or twice a week, but that depends on the "chapped"-ness of your lips, haha!

A regular Lip Scrub (say, from lush) can be up to 10+ dollars, and this one cost me nothing! I already had the container from going to Honduras, and I ended up not needing it, and the rest of the ingredients were already in my kitchen! 

This was just fun for me to tell you what I've been doing lately! 

Hope you enjoyed, and let me know if you're planning on trying it!


1 comment:

Laura Darling said...

Oh I'll have to try this. I used a lip scrub from Bath and Body Works once, but it ran out and you're right, they are SO expensive! This looks easy and affordable!