Wednesday, January 19, 2011

firsts, lasts, deer, cats, & upcoming tasks...

There's no doubt in ya'll's mind that I have a love affair with the outdoors, right?

So, when I tell you that, "this week (particularly today) just might be the most depressing day of the year" you'll understand why, right?


Does that clear it up for those of you who were confused?

You're welcome. :)

I feel like I cheated myself this season. I didn't take full advantage of huntin' like I would most of the time. There seemed to always be a reason why I wasn't going although my reasons only ever made sense to me: Matt wasn't going to be close incase I ended up needing help loading a deer, Daddy was working or decided to go somewhere I didn't want to go, I was tired, it was cold, I had "things to do".. etc, etc. 
Well, this weekend I just sucked it up & decided amongst myself that I was going regardless of who was doing what. I went every day from Thursday 'til today.
I honestly go through a slight depression era at the end of rifle season, and it sparks back up around June.  I can usually keep myself occupied until September to go dove huntin', but it's a challenge. The good thing about this era is that it ends sooner now since I'm bow huntin'. That starts up in October here, for all you non-Mississippi readers!

(glasgow, montana, 2010)

Sunday I got a fairly early start considering my habits for being fashionably late for everything (including huntin' most of the time, can you even BE fashionably late for huntin'? Anyway..) I chose to sit in a stand that I don't normally sit in, just to see what was going on down there. There is one lane and a box house at one end. 
(this is the lane, box stand beside me..minus Marlee, of course)

I sat there for around 2 hours, and I saw 2 deer. The deer were in no mood to stop & graze, though. They simply walked out, checked to see if they were seen, and walked back into the other  side of the lane. I love watching them & they have no idea :) So, later... I decided that I would have no chance to shoot one if they were moving through there so quickly.

(first bow kill)

I relocated back to "MY" stand. I feel at home there. I know the trees that "turn into deer" at a certain time of the evening, right before dark (I have a problem with that..hallucinating that there is a deer at one end of the field when really - it's a stump or tree limb that has been there for 45,676,402 years.) Anyway, once I got settled I looked down my right lane (it was 5:20). Something, I didn't know what, but something was creeping towards me. I was unsure of what it was (but I was VERY sure that it wasn't a person..just so you know), I just knew it was an animal that didn't belong (alive, anyway) in my field. 

So, I shot it.  

Now you're thinking I am an irresponsible hunter, right? One who doesn't fully think through what she's doing with an automatic rifle? Well, you're wrong. First of all, I had a gut feeling that I knew exactly what it was by its slyness and the way it walked towards me. Secondly, when your very worst fear is (aside from clowns) a coyote... and something walking on 4 legs is headed your direction -- you would do the same. Plus, I had been seeing a bobcat in that area for a few days. Excited, I left my stand to check it out, and in fact - it was a bobcat! My first bobcat! I was just as thrilled as I would have been if you told me I had killed the Boone & Crockett record. 

Yeah, that was pushing my excitement a little. But nevertheless, I was excited. :)

Monday, I went back. I vetoed going to the "new" stand, and I just went to mine. I knew I'd end up there anyway, so I waited until around 5:20 (again), and here comes little teenage doe! Well, I whacked her too, and without assistance I loaded her onto the back of the four-wheeler. I was quite proud of myself for not needing to call in backup! My dilemma? I drive a Honda Pilot now. Incase you didn't know, they have no room for bleeding animals in the trunk. My other dilemma? I drove my Honda Pilot to hunt. My next dilemma? My daddy was hunting in a different county & Matt was at home.

Lucky for me I had a volunteer to go with me to get my deer & take Daddy's (eight point) to the processor, help me unload it then load mine & unload it again. I also had help cleaning it, not that my Daddy wouldn't help me, but anyway. I could do it alone, but I'd rather have someone out there to critique me. As it turned out, I didn't need critiquing Monday, I just skinned the deer and the rest of the time I held the rack steady. I also had help learning that my little teenage doe was, in fact, a little teenage BUCK. Oops. In my defense, his antlers had not broken the skin, and either way -- "my help" told me that they would have shot him too. My daddy said the same thing, and I feel no remorse about it. :) 

It must be all of this "end-of-the-year excitement" that's got my brain shifting gears. The year as a whole (hunting wise) has been unforgettable. I won't ever forget these times i've spent with my daddy. I've experienced a few firsts this year, and I am so grateful for that. I thank God for allowing me to have the opportunity to hunt the outdoors. It is truly a privilege.  

ONWARD!!

I wanted to let you all know that I am going to start doing monthly favorites at the end of each month, and when I post one you can comment on the entry with a link to your blog if you want to participate! I think it will be fun to see what we've been enjoying each month. This can include anything you like: clothes, food, hair products, makeup, movies, books, websites, photos, other blogs, whatever you have discovered or been drawn to during that month. I hope you will all take part. I love seeing what everyone is interested in! 

No comments: