Friday, January 21, 2011

if not for those i've loved along the way..

A lot weighing in on my mind today, but the main thing would have to be understanding just how precious life really is, and just how often we take people for granted.

Looking back on people I've loved throughout my lifetime makes me wish I had done things differently sometimes. Of course, when we're younger we're always "on the go", and as I "age" a little more - I find myself trying to grasp at most any opportunities to spend time with the people I love.

Today I went through every Facebook message that I had sent since 2006, and I realized just how much things change in only 4-5 years. Friends change, people change, relationships change, life just changes. It's not always an "all-the-sudden" thing. Sometimes, it's a gradual change in character. Other times, it IS sudden.

My fondest memories of people who have made Heaven their home are a tad foggy, but I try my best to keep them in a corner of my mind. I don't want to lose a single ounce of memory that involves those precious people.

I can feel the wind in my face as we raced down the gravel road with no destination in mind, but I always felt so alive and free, yet safe & sound when I was with you. You would let me guide the four-wheeler all around, and you always made me laugh. I have so many memories of fishing with my daddy, ones that I'll never forget, but your fishing trips are also unforgettable. I could be downright discouraged, and you would give me a little push to keep on fishing. "There's a joe-darter right there..just wait", you'd say. I think I spent most of my summer's on the pier with you, and I wish we could fish one more time. You meant (and still mean) so much to me and your family. Your legacy lives on in the lives of my brother, my three cousins, and your children. You showed us all how to love the outdoors with our whole hearts. Your laugh was contagious, and it filled the entire room. People couldn't help but smile if they heard it, and the same goes for your tales of hunting.

I always loved coming to your house and exploring through your jewelry. You definitely had an eye for uniqueness. Your love for America astounded me. I wish I could share so many things with you. Like, for instance, how I now find myself looking for unique things. My friends even sometimes say, "it's very unique..it's you." I like to believe you had a take on that. I'd like to share with you how I am in love with America. I can remember swinging on your side porch and the crystal bowl of candy you kept in your living room. I loved your back yard, and I remember helping with your garden. You were such a sweet & gentle woman, but your beliefs were stern & strong. You didn't let anyone talk you out of believing in something, and I loved that about you also.

I wish I could remember more about my time spent with you. I know that from what I'm told we are the exact same person. People who knew you & know me always say that. Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches were only good at your house, and coming to your home in the country was always a joy for me. Your house had a distinct smell, and I can be anywhere today - smell that particular smell, and I automatically think of you. About a year ago, we went through many of your things & I found so many pieces of yours that I fell in love with. You were also a unique person, and you were so strong willed. You raised my most favorite man in the whole entire world, my number one man, and you raised him to treat people with his upmost respect. You showed him strength that he has displayed for my family well - especially over the last few years. You taught him that doing things for others is the only way to live, and I can't thank you enough for that.

These are just a few people who have touched my life. I know this was a heavy post to read.

Take advantage of the time you're given to spend with the people you care about. Remember those times, and don't take one single second for granted.

:) 


I remember waitin’ by the curb with Mr. Murphy
When daddy picked me up from school his eyes were red
We drove to the hospital in a hurry
Where my family gathered round my Grandpa’s bed
He was my best friend
He taught me how to fish
And I cried listenin to my daddy pray
For one of those I’ve loved along the way

She had a ribbon in her hair the day I met her
That whole next year we couldn’t get enough
And after graduation she took off for Denver
And for awhile we both tried to keep in touch
She was my best friend
And it broke my heart
But I don’t regret the day that she became
One of those I’ve loved along the way

And I hope they know
I never woulda made it this far on my own
Where would we all be without those
Fathers and mothers, sisters and brothers
The friends I’ve made, the long lost lovers
I wouldn’t be who I am today
If not for those I’ve loved along the way
Along the way

Now I’m just a country boy with a guitar
Lookin’ back down this old road I’ve been travelin’ on
It was never about tryin’ to be some big star
For me it’s always been about these songs
You see they’re my best friends
They’re the life I live
And I hope they put a smile on the face
Of those that I’ve loved along the way
‘Cause I wouldn’t be the man I am today
If not for those I’ve loved along the way



-Those I've Loved, Eric Church

1 comment: