Sunday, January 9, 2011

snow...night?


SNOW NIGHT 2011


our entire town shuts COMPLETELY down at the sign of snow, but
today was forcasted to be a little different because ice was to be involved.


I, myself, am not a huge fan of ice due to the last experience I had with it. It was around Christmastime when I was 7 or 8 years old, and we (Mom, Hollie, & I) were watching a Christmas movie - Jingle All the Way - when the phone rang.


Mom answered it. Daddy & Matt were off hunting. She spoke with the lady for a minute, and then asked her to hold on for a moment while she went to the office to check out some paperwork for her. She left Hollie & I in the back content with a movie. 


In the midst of her being gone, the phone was off the hook & the movie still played when out of no where a limb flies through the "dining room" window sending Carolers through the air slamming against the floor. 


I took one look at the limb that had made itself right at home inside MY home, and I ran towards the office, only to be greeted by the same running method from Mom. She heard the commotion through the phone, and headed back in our direction. 


Full panic took on then, and we turned the light on in the viewing room to see caskets strowed out across the floor, and a gigantic oak tree sleeping soundly inside my home. Upstairs in Matt's room there stood a gaping hole. 

All I remember about it, really, is that I screamed "CALL 911" for a good thirty minutes until Mom reassured me that no one was hurt or dying, and then I just wanted my Daddy. For some reason I thought that maybe if he was home, the hole in my home would go away. 

Cell phones were a tad unheard of at this point, but the news of this newfound growth in our home was spreading like wildfire, and soon I was taken to Hollie's for the evening while our church came to help seal up the holes. 

I hated every form of weather other than sunshine for awhile after that. I didn't sleep good for a while after that, either. I have a vivid memory of the branch piercing through the window and sending one of my Mom's favorite decorations to the floor. Do you know that none of those Carolers were damaged? Sure, the labrador has a chipped ear, but none of them broke into a million pieces or shattered to the point of no return. 

And tonight, the "Ice Storm/Blizzard/Snowlacoust/Iceapocalypse" whatever you may call it - has proved to me that not all forms of cold are bad. 
Tonight has been fun.

Mom & I baked cookies at 9:00 which is rare because normally she's been in bed for 3 hours by 9, ha! :) Love you, Mom.


Daddy came up with a hot chocolate recipe. Ya'll have to try it! It's SO good!

Fill your cup with milk
Place Half of a HERSHEY COOKIES AND CREAM candy bar in the milk
Heat the milk up until candy is melted
Add 1 bag of instant hot chocolate
Stir
Add other half of candy bar
Heat until the candy is melted
Stir again,
and enjoy!

AMAZING. 


Later, I went to Hollie's on my 4wheeler. 
Top left to right: 
Cary (neighbor), Anna (Hollie's sibling), Hollie, Me, Steven (Anna's twin) & Leigh Kathryn in the front.



We had a block party that involved snowball fighting, hiding behind bushes, bruises, chasing each other down the street, lots of yelling, tons of laughing, and not taking heed to the fact that we're 18-19 years old here. 


We were children tonight.


Snow brings out the inner child in us, and that's okay because snow doesn't happen too often around here. 


We have to take advantage of these things while they last!


Tonight made me wish that I had gone sledding with Randi Jo & Trevor in Montana.
...Maybe next time? Ha!


Then I "drove" home.

I hate it when snow melts.
It feels like Christmas afternoon when you sit down & realize that all you've waited for (or prepared for in this case) is over. 
It's so depressing.
It's been fun.
That is all.

ps-
(maybe) the most important news: Class is canceled tomorrow. Thank you, snow. Thank you, living in the South. Thank you, Lord!

 :)

THAT is all.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I've had fun playing catch up with you. Yes, they prepare us for the worst & then we get just enough for us "south" people to not be able to drive. It is hard to believe school has been out for two days because of this little bit. Enjoyed looking at all of your pictures in the past posts.