Monday, December 1, 2008

quiet.

It’s anticipating the afternoon. Going upstairs to change clothes and looking at yourself to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything. Putting my hat on as I walk out the door, and getting inside my truck.
Driving to the place that I’ve chosen to do what I love to do is peaceful. My daddy usually goes with me, and that makes it more interesting. This is something we’ve shared together since I was probably seven years old. It’s something that he taught me how to do, and my passion for it has only grown stronger since then.
Getting out of the truck and feeling the crisp air on my face, the sound of the wind rushing through the trees makes my adrenaline skyrocket. I slowly shut the door, making sure to be as quiet as possible. The sun is shining, but it is still cool outside.
Quiet. Quiet is the key when taking on this adventure. Without quiet you will never pick up on the noises that need to be heard, and are vitally important. Quiet is what makes the whole experience what it is. The peace of it all is what makes it unforgettable.
As I gather my stuff, it seems like a heavy load, but I am well aware that there’s a fifty percent chance all of this process could turn out for the better. Although, either way I’ll be glad to have experienced it, no matter what happens. My daddy walks as far as he can with me, before he splits and goes his separate way. This is when I’m on my own, this is when all the things he has taught me in the last 10 years is supposed to pay off. He is confident that I will do the right things, but he brushes over the main facts anyway.
I step up, place all my belongings down, and quietly enter. Unfolding the metel chair, I sit down. look to my left, right, and straight in front of me, I see green fields lined with tall pine trees. I can vaguely remember when those trees were small. I am being very cautious of my surroundings, not letting any sound go unnoticed. As I look upon these fields, I am replaying the procedure in my mind. Sometimes, a bored feeling falls across me and that’s usually when it happens. (Right when you’re not expecting it.)
You don’t know where, when, how, what time, or how long they’re going to be there – but that’s the excitement of it all. Once they’ve been spotted you’re heart pounds, but you have to remember, quiet.
It’s okay to look for a few minutes, but I have to keep in mind that I don’t know what may be out there to scare them, or even if they’re only passing through. That gives me an anxious feeling, causing me to sometimes act quickly.
I pull my weapon close to me, and look down the scope. My heart is still racing, and being able to watch them without them knowing that I’m there makes me feel so dominant, and in control. As I watch, I notice their subconscious movements they make, their instincts: the way their ears move when they hear the slightest noise or the way their tail flinches after they’ve scanned the area and realized they are safe.
Just as he turns broadside, I put my cross heirs on his front shoulder. I take a deep breath, and let all the thoughts on my mind slip away. Releasing only half of my breath, and keeping the cross heirs steady on his shoulder, I slowly squeeze the trigger. As my Browning .270 Automatic fires, I am shocked myself, but I cannot let that take over me. Keeping my eyes focused down the barrel of the gun, smoke is all see. When it clears away, my prize is there to break up the immense amount of green grass.
The sun is now setting, and the temperature has dropped tremendously. Now all I have to do is wait. Once the sun has set completely, I am aware that I don’t have much longer. My daddy’s flashlight shines against the tree line to my far left, it is the only light now. I am overwhelmed with excitement because I know he’ll be proud. As he gets closer, I unload my gun & gather the rest of my things. Even though it’s over, I find myself still trying to be as quiet as possible.
All in all, my day has been a success, and once we pull in the driveway, I simply say, “Thanks for going, Dad. I enjoyed the hunt.” By now, my mom knows what I’ve accomplished and she too, is proud.
Many things in life make me happy. I had a hard time deciding what to write, because most of the time it’s nothing major – it’s the simple things.


I found that on my computer. I had to write it for an English assignment last year. (:
I LOVE YOU, DADDY!

1 comment:

Ashia said...

Love it, gal! =) Makes me wanna go huntin. =)