Wednesday, October 20, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day Four!

Day Four: Your Parents!

My Mom: 


My mom grew up here, and she was raised by a man who loved MSU football and could tell a joke to make ANYone laugh. His voice was stern when it needed to be, and soft when speaking to children. He was an avid outdoorsman, and he is missed by many - especially his family. Her wife is as sweet an sincere as my mom, and she is one of my best friends. They did a good job raising two girls and one rambunctious boy. They all turned out remarkably well, if you ask me, but I am a little prejudice. She walked the same high school halls as I, and we share the same color eyes. She is FAR more organized than I am. She means well in everything she does, and she has such a heart for other people. She has never once put herself before any of her family. She doesn't get thanked enough. I learn to appreciate my mom more as i've gotten older. I'm started to (somewhat) realize the responsibilities she has, and how much it can ease her mind to just get a call from me to let her know what i'm doing. She is the best cook I know, and she loves listening to Christmas music RIGHT after Thanksgiving ;) She always asks my opinion on decorating ideas, and she is horrible about answering her cell phone sometimes! Ha! That's okay though; maybe she isn't, but I expect her to have it taped to her hand like mine is!) She loves the beach, and I love going with her. The times we spend together there (along with my Mimi) are ones i'll never forget. We laugh so hard, we cry. She also loves romantic comedies, and spending time with all of us. My mom has never failed me. She's always been there for me.
the same thing goes for my dad! 
He was raised just south of here on a hill in the country. We still own the land today. There's nothing quite like being out with him listening to stories of his youth. It makes me feel like i'm back in that same year, running those hills and splashing those creeks with him. He, too, walked the same high school halls as I. Although, he did go to a different elementary school for a while before transferring. 
I don't remember a whole lot about his dad, other than he was a tall lean man who was reserved, but when he spoke it was something worth listening to. The woman that stood beside him and aided in raising my dad was a firecracker! I get told oftentimes that we are a lot alike, even in our physical assets. She had a broad opinion about things, and she loved to talk. My dad is full of wisdom and he knows history like the back of his hand. (He would jokingly tell you that it's because he lived it all, but he really isn't as old as he puts off being). He admires the outdoors - anything from fishing, hunting, or just spending the day in the shop. He is a constant reminder to me that I can do whatever I want if I just set my mind to it, and he and I share memories that i'll never forget. He has taught me everything I know about being a good hunter or fisher. I hope I can teach my kids the same ways and perspectives that he's taught me. 
My parents love my brother and I, there's no doubt about that. I hope they don't think for one minute that they've done a bad job at rearing us because the truth is, they've shown us what love should be like. They display it (in their own way) on a daily basis. We may not always do what they say the first time they say it, but we (or maybe I should speak for myself) almost always look back and realize that they had it right, and that we should have listened to begin with. They work together everyday, and even through that their compassion for one another shows. They discipline us as needed, and they remind us of how proud they are to be our parents - even during times that may not be so great to feel proud.
 I hope that I do as well of a job at raising children as I feel like my mom & dad have. 
I know it isn't always easy, 
but they seem to make the best of it! 
=)

3 comments:

Karen said...

Julianna, this is precious! It is nothing like having wonderful, Godly parents. I still have my mom, but oh how I miss my dad. So great for you to realize their wisdom at your age. Thanks for sharing. (They are special to us too!)

☆ Loren ☆ said...

Thank so much for commenting and joining me on the Blog Challenge! I love your posts so far and cannot wait to see the rest :)!

The Lindley Family said...

Love reading your daily posts!!! Your parents are definitely special people - they have one of the hardest jobs around and are extremely compassionate each and every day.