Sunday, October 31, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day Fourteen!

Day Fourteen: What do you want to be when you "grow up"...

Such a broad topic for me right now. I have been struggling recently with a profession although I know that God knows the Ultimate Plan. 
From the time I was [probably] a freshman in high school until about 2 weeks ago, I had my mind set on xray technology. I wanted to specialize, but I wasn't sure about WHERE in the field I wanted to specialize. 

As of recently, I've realized that the jobs in that area aren't as demanding as they used to be even a few years ago due to people going into it "excessively" because it IS in the medical field, and it IS a quick program. 

That IS part of the reason I had decided to do it, and the other reason has to do with the impact the tech's have had on me in an x-ray room. They all seem to really enjoy their job! I remember the day I "decided" that was what I wanted to do. I came out from an xray, and I told my mom.. "I think I figured it out." 

...Now, I have changed my path. I wouldn't say i've completely changed it, but it is definitely NOT xrays! 

As

of

this

week

.......

I am changing my major to....



SPEECH PATHOLOGY.

I am so thrilled about figuring something out, but I also know that God can change my direction at any point in time. 

Many people can't understand why Photography wouldn't be in my mind for a profession. I will say that it has crossed my mind, but I am learning (and have learned) that it isn't always the greatest idea to incorporate a hobby with a job. I mainly learned this through "art" and it sometimes causes me to be uninspired when I see a blank sheet of paper and a sharpie laying around.
I would NEVER want a job to interfere with my love for photography. It is my way of dealing with things sometimes. It calms me, and it takes my mind off of things. I only need that once or twice a week 
-- not every single day.

Does that make sense? I just rambled this entire post. The thing is, I still want to be able to do my photography "on the side" I just don't want to make it a job setting. I have been offered so many opportunities in this field, and I look forward to what God has in store for me. 


...sidenote: I feel like this was totally pointless, and I have left you more confused than before you clicked my link. Excuse me. 

3 comments:

Karen said...

I don't think you rambled. You shared your heart by tapping the keys. I've never thought about keeping hobby away from job. But, you do have a point there. I always enjoy reading.

Laura Darling said...

It's always a scary thing to change your major, but good for you! I started college CONVINCED I was meant to be a nurse, and sophomore year I switched to English. Now I'm in grad school for my paralegal certificate. It will all work out how it's supposed to though!

The Manning Family said...

I totally understood everything you wrote. You are wise beyond your years; I think keeping the hobby separate from career is an excellent idea. Good luck with your new major!