Sunday, November 14, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge: Day Twenty Three!


Day Twenty Three: Charities you're interested in...

I just recently have grown to love charities. I've always somewhat known about them, but here lately I find myself reading more into them. I believe that charities are a wonderful way to help less fortunate or needy people out. It is a way to be involved in something your heart is interested in, and a lot of times you can "Google" charities that you never knew existed & become a part of them!



Operation Christmas Child is a project done by the Samaratan's Purse every year around this time. You pick up a shoe box, fill it with school supplies, hygiene products, small toys, & hard candy, and then you mark the box with the appropriate age that the gifts "fit into". As a church, we take the boxes and bring them back to the front of the church, and for a month (or a little over a month) the boxes grow in size. Today the altar was nearly filled with all the green & red boxes.
The boxes are then taken to Georgia & packaged properly to be sent overseas to underprivileged childeren. Some of these children live in the area of Honduras that our mission team is familiar with, and they got to see a video of Samuel and Sonia handing out the boxes last year. That really makes it hit home!


TOMS are beneficial to both the giving & recieving end (as is OCC and the rest I am posting about because you are helping someone else out while doing something you love at the same time). TOMS Shoes motto is "One for One". You buy a pair of shoes, and they send a pair to a person who doesn't have any shoes at all. 

ALSO:
TOMS hosts a Day Without Shoes for the people who have taken part in the TOMS charity. You are asked to leave the house without shoes on for a day & see what it's like to not have an option of wearing shoes. 
I only participated half the day this past year. I wore my TOMS to school, but after school I had to sell adds through town & I took them off. It was challenging for only a few hours; I can't imagine what an entire day is like!


I just recently became a part of the USO, and they do so many great things!
Last month we provided calling cards for soldiers overseas who are going to be gone during Christmas. The cards will be sent over to them as a Christmas gift from the USO (but from what I understand, they will already have their cards ON Christmas).
Right now (as i blogged about a few days ago) they are asking people to send "Thank You's" to our men & women in our military. *the link for this will be at the bottom of the post if you're interested.




The WWP is a nonprofit organization (as is the USO) that provides help for veterans & (obviously) wounded warriors. You can do something as simple as buy a t-shirt from them, and the money is sent to help a soldier in need.



And... Just as of today, I have adopted a soldier. Not sure about what I'm getting myself into, but my friend Haleigh & I are kind of doing it together. I am really excited about giving someone the chance to recieve mail who isn't currently doing so. It was completely free, and although I am a little anxious - I am very excited!

If you want to become a part of any of these charities:


Thanks for reading, and let me know if you're interested!
=)

2 comments:

Karen said...

The video was so moving that we saw today of the shoeboxes being handed out, especially getting to see Samuel handing them out! It really melted "hubby's" heart, since having experienced Honduras first hand.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about the charity you support some of them I was not aware of thank you for sharing.
I love you
Mimi