Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Monday: Culture Shock...

November 22, 2010


We started our morning around 6:00 (or.. 7:00 our time). Woke up, got dressed, and went upstairs. We grabbed a cinnamon roll and some orange juice as Toby and the kids scurried around upstairs getting ready for school. They go to school until Wednesday at lunch. Macy came in from outside hoping that it was light out, but daybreak hadn't quite hit yet. So, he fed some cows & we went back downstairs to relax for about 20 more minutes. Soon, Toby was at the top of the stairs,
"Macy's ready if you guys are!" she said. 
I was ready, and I was excited.


I made my way to the garage to put on my (not-so-warm-after-all) boots and was greeted by their 3 cow dogs and their basset hound. After placing my boots on my chilled toes, I walked out the door. -3 degrees in Glasgow, Montana today, folks! The air is crisp and dry here, not wet & humid, but either way you look at it - it's COLD.


I found Macy standing beside the truck looking out of his binoculars (or vinyls, as he calls them) towards all of the deer in his harvested corn field. They marked it like little Hershey Kisses on top of whipped cream as they stood dispersed out over the snow. I counted 32, but there could've been more than that. 


We ended up seeing around 150 deer this morning, but he most memorable one was probably midway through the morning. We made the same "loops" (as we call them) or "routes" (pronounced "roots", as they call them) as we did yesterday, but the scenery was different this morning. 


There is lots of sage grass here, and barbed wire fences too, so we are at home in that area. We stopped in the middle of the road to check out the deer in the field to our left, and Daddy noticed one behind the sage on the other side of the barbed wire fence. When he finally raised his head, Macy caught a glimpse of his movement, and he claimed him as a 5 by 5 (I called him a good ole' 10 point)! Either way you decide to look at it, he was a nice deer. He gave me an easy 67 yard shot, but I turned it down. It wasn't necessarily due to the fact that I didn't WANT to shoot him, but I didn't want to shoot one that Macy didn't make a big deal about. After all, he is around these beautiful creatures everyday.


He [Macy] thought he was smaller, but once the ole boy came out into the open, Macy quickly changed his mind to something greater than "small."

I may regret not shooting that deer...


This afternoon we went back out around 1:30 and scanned some of Macy's friends land. We didn't see many deer there aside from a few does. 


We made a few more loops (or a "root") around, and we saw the buck he's been telling us about since we met him at the airport. His G2's were longer than any deer i've ever laid eyes on, but most of the deer's size here ARE larger than i've ever seen. I could shoot them all, really! I have to stop myself from drooling while trying to fumble around with either the camera or the binoculars.


He had hardly no mass at all, but he made up for that in length, I guess. 

He was an awesome deer, and that's really all I can say.


We saw a few more small bucks, but the snow caused such a fog that it was hard to decipher through what was what. 



The people here are just like ones at home, in a sense. 
Everyone waves at everyone.
Everyone knows everyone.
& everyone helps one another out in times of need.

3 comments:

Karen said...

loved reading & looking - really loved the snowdrift on the side of the cattails.

Hollie said...

AMAZING pictures! You are so talented! Love you!

Laura Darling said...

I'm loving this! I'm glad the people are nice there, I wish I lived in a place like that. But isntead I live in a close Philadelphia suburb and people are not friendly at all. :-( but I'm glad they are somewhere! And once again I love the pics!