Thursday, November 11, 2010

From Vikings to Veterans.


Ahh.. SO strange to be out of my "assigned blogging" element for today, but I wanted to actually let you seep into my thoughts for a minute. (Oh, how boring that may be!) I will finish out the assignment after this post. Enjoy!


VETERANS DAY

Ya'll.. I am SO proud to be an American. 
EVERY. Single. Time. I hear the National Anthem, I want to shed a little tear. We have so much to be thankful for, and I am blessed enough to have people in my life who keep our rights & privileges in tact.
This morning I was leaving town for class, and as I made my way down Main Street, I couldn't help but notice the illusion that the flags created all down the main strip. It was red, white, and blue seeming to be stacked on top of one another lining the side walks of our town. It was such a humbling site to see.

There's nothing quite like a small town.
How true? 

It's true for many reasons.

(One being that in a HUGE town, I may have been so overwhelmed by traffic or pedestrians that I wouldn't have noticed the flags, or maybe in a bigger town they wouldn't have put flags out). It is also true when it comes to hometown sports. 

Last night our small town gathered around the gridiron to have a unique pep-rally for our 8 man (yes, E-I-G-H-T man) football team. They had a whopping 9-1 record at the time that we were all sitting, chilling (literally), in the stands. Let me first warn you that the "1" came about during our last regular season game, and our perfect season was ruined when our rival team upset us.
One by one the cheerleaders were introduced, waving their pom-poms in the night air, and cheering. They then took their place on the field, forming two lines, facing one another. 
The boys of the team were called out by their grade, and they made their way through the cheery cheering cheerleaders. They held their heads high; they walked with pride. 

A local preacher said a quick something before he prayed over the pep-rally, the people, the attitudes, and the outcome. He said he remembered "meeting" them at the beginning of the season & being so proud to stand there last night to say a prayer for them and their travels [today].

"The Boys of Fall" (originally preformed by Kenny Chesney) was sung by a high school Senior from the school, and the boys started a standing ovation. I was listening to him practice from my front porch just days ago, as the notes of the song echoed throughout our little city.


Then, the cheerleaders yelled a few chants, getting the crowd rowled up and the boys excited. They put smiles on peoples faces, and they ensured hope into the boys minds. Cheerleaders tend to do that, in my opinion. They are always behind the boys cheering whether the score is 75-0 or 0-75. The boys know they can turn around and SOMEONE will be yelling a chant for them.


After that, they made their way back to the sidelines while the boys kept their seats on the first few rows of bleachers. & the pee-wee girls made their way out to put on a show. There's nothing like mini-me cheerleaders, cracks me up! They're so darn cute. 

Next, Coach Jeff Terrill stood in front of the boys an motivated them about their upcoming game. He spoke about their statistics and how they didn't matter now. Every game that had been played prior to this one was over, and now it was time to start anew.. tomorrow... on the field... with another team who want a win just as bad as we do. He reminded them that 1:00pm wasn't an ideal time for a football game, and that required some adjustment, but basically - he set them up to be prepared. He spoke to them about having will and going to do their best. 
They were then greeted by Deuce McAlister. (former Ole Miss player & NFL Saints player) He motivated them as well. Coming from someone who's been there before, I can only imagine the honor the boys felt having listened to those two men.



I haven't played a day of football in my life, and his [Coach Terrill's] speech made me want to suit up & hit somebody! The entire night had that affect on me. My body was overwhelmed by chill bumps more than once, and it may have been partially due to the temperature, but it had a LOT to do with the presence of the town, the atmosphere that surrounded me, the closeness of our school & athletic department, and the love of the game that was shown through nearly every individual there. 

Today the boys set out at 8:00am to face the Championship game - something that hasn't been done in our football history in quite some time. Nerves filled the bus seats, and the parents were proud to slip on their blue and gold and motivate south towards the gridiron. Many fans followed, but some stayed home and listened to the game via talkshoe.com. 
We waited anxiously for the game to start, and by half-time the opposing team had 12 points on the board. Family and fans kept their faith, and we waited until the second half. 
During the third quarter, we scored 2 touchdowns with no conversions.
The Vikings went on to call a loss at the end of the game 58-12, but they didn't lose a fan. If anything, they gained fans for bestowing class among all the people they were around. They could have stormed off the field or caused a scene, but instead they kept their cool. I wasn't there to see it for myself, but I would hope that they walked off the field the same way they walked onto it - with their head held high.
Sure, there were tears. I'm sure there were lots of tears, but those tears don't just come from having less points on the board - those tears come from having to leave it there, never getting another chance in high school to change that score, the memories they take with them as they carry their colors to the locker room for the last time. Those tears come from the happiness, saddness, anger, love, compassion, and brotherhood that those boys have made over the last thirteen years, 
and it all came down to today

They became veterans today. Veterans of high school football. Sure, they haven't fought overseas, but they've fought for wins, for each other, for their colors, for their school, for their town

I couldn't be more proud to be a Viking. I wouldn't have it any other way.  

I couldn't be more proud to THANK a Veteran, to know a Veteran, and to love several Veterans.

You're not forgotten.

We'll always remember you.


3 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, Julianna ~ wonderful post. It was obvious you shared your heart.
You've got new blogging skin on?? I was shocked when I opened up your post. So much easier to read than the "white words on black".
Keep it up! Nothing like an outlet for someone who loves to write. :)))) Just trying to make a positive difference on the www as I view it!
~Hugs~
Karen

Unknown said...

Thank you for your wonderful words about Uncle Jeff. He's a great man, coach and Uncle!!

Anonymous said...

My Girl has written another nice blog. Thank You for sharing your thoughts and pictures about our Vikings..
Love You
Mimi